Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 21:14:52 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>,  rms@gnu.org,
>   philipk@posteo.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 15:04:27 -0400
>
> > I understand Stefan's opinion, but it isn't our policy, at least not
> > yet, not until and unless we decide to drop support for all the VCSes
> > except Git.
>
> To be clear, I do not advocate to drop support for non-Git VCS.
> I find that *improving* the support for non-Git VCS (at this time) is
> ultimately counter-productive.

No one was talking about improving support of VCSes beyond what we
support for Git.  But we should strive to have all the VCSes supported
the same, and that cannot be considered counter-productive, because
that's what VC is about, by design.  So when we add some feature for
Git, we should try supporting it for other VCSes as well, as a matter
of policy.