Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 16:26:30 -0400

Stefan Kangas [2022-11-01 20:26:11] wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> > Are there any GNU packages for Emacs that still use CVS?  If
>> > yes, why don't they use Git?
>>
>> Again, not relevant.  package-vc should support all the VCS backends
>> that VC supports, for as long as Emacs supports that VCS in general.
>
> Of course it is relevant.  AFAIU, Stefan M argued that it's *not very
> important*, not that it shouldn't be supported at all.  To determine
> if it is important or not, the questions I asked are exactly the ones
> that need to be answered.

It goes further that that, by the way: the few times I have to interact
with an Hg or Bzr repository, I don't use Hg or Bzr, I use Git.

Back when I was using Bzr instead, I did the same: I used Bzr to access
Svn, Hg, and Git repositories.

[ Some tools go even a step further and decouple the tool used locally
  from the format used locally, so you can use the Brz tool on a local
  Git clone IIUC.  ]

So `package-vc` doesn't need to support all VCS because we can rely on
bridges to decouple the tool used locally from the format of
the repository (tho, those adapters/bridges tend to be a bit fiddly,
admittedly).

> Actually, I could rephrase it: Is there any Emacs Lisp package out
> there that use CVS?  I don't know of any, myself.

Good question.  I don't think there's any such thing in MELPA, at
least :-)

The only non-Git repositories I know of are either Hg or Bzr.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some package stored in Svn
somewhere, tho.

        Stefan