Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 23:17:47 -0400

  > > How about `checkout' instead of `repo'?  `package-checkout' to check
  > > out from the ELPA repo, and either `package-upstream-checkout' or
  > > `package-dev-checkout' for the upstream repo.

  > As Stephan has pointed out that "-checkout" is misleading

We are miscommunicating here, I think.

                                                              since it
  > sounds like a command that would just clone the repository

Yes, exactly.  That is what I propose for this command to do: just
check out that package's repo.

                                                               without
  > activating it as a package.

Yes, exactly.  This command should check out the package, and no more.

After that, you may wish to load the code of that package, or arrange
for it to be loaded on other occasions in the future, or you may not.
We should provide easy ways to do those things if you want to, but we
shouldn't impose those things on you by default just because you
asked to see those sources in a repo.