Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 23:17:18 -0400

  > But let me add, as notorious trouble-maker, that shorthands consist of
  > problems only.

If you say that, I guess you don't see how they are useful.

I would like to write to explain it, but I can't do that just now.  I
am far more overloaded than usual.  I am backlogged by about 1500
emails MORE than I was backlogged 10 days ago, and struggling to deal
with that.

In addition, I have to write some important things to post about
bigger issues, such as the risky and harmful idea replacing the
standard GPL license notice with an SPDX tag.

There is no hurry about this issue, so please stop pressuring people
to rush it.  Let's wait a couple of weeks, so that I have time to read
the article about CL packages that you refered to, and then write
something about it.

  > Let's see.  I hope that ideology doesn't play a role in Emacs,

"Ideology" is a derogatory term for "general political stance which is
used as the basis for prsctical decisions."  The GNU Project is part
of the free software movement, which holds a stance of that kind which
can properly play a role in any of our decisions.  When you talk about that,
please don't use derogatory words.

I don't see that it directly enters into this issue, though.