Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 09:12:54 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Richard,

> This code comes from Fload.
>
>   /* If file name is magic, call the handler.  */
>   handler = Ffind_file_name_handler (file, Qload);
>   if (!NILP (handler))
>     return call5 (handler, Qload, file, noerror, nomessage, nosuffix);
>
> Is it a bug that it does not pass along the argument must_suffix?
> It looks that way.

Tramp is able to handle the must_suffix argument.

However, ange-ftp-load doesn't know this argument. No problem, we can
fix this by adding the argument to ange-ftp-load, and ignore it
then. Will do.

I suppose this was due to backward compatibility, which isn't needed
anymore for ange-ftp.

Best regards, Michael.