Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:35:59 +0100

On 08.11.22 10:54, João Távora wrote:
On Tue, Nov 8, 2022, 06:20 Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com <mailto:gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>> wrote:

    .

    BTW, in light of what I read now on emacs-devel in various threads,
    I take my questions about the design of shorthands and there use instead
    of modules/packages back, because there is no design.

I find this characterization a bit unfair. There was and is a design, a fairly small one and one aimed primarily at solving a particular problem, which wouldn't be possible with CL packages.

Sorry for having been a battleaxe :-).

I know that part, and I think it's likely a good tool when meeting
realities like dash and s and so on.

What I meant was using shorthands as the basis for a general mechanism
that somehow solves a "problem" that other languages use modules for.  I
mean, a design, or at least what I understand under a design, should
have at least briefly considered things like Eldoc, xref, completions,
and what else there is.  I didn't see/hear this, and it only slowly
comes up and generates "we could do this or that".  TBH, that reminds me
a bit of Greenspun's tenth.

But anyways, the ship has sailed.