Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 09:19:42 +0200

>> From my pov if you use the package directly from the version control
>> system you need to take these specialties into account.
>> Source isn't used as is but processed by the packages build-system.
>> But the user also needs to take not that all the necessary tools such as
>> make or ninja are installed.
>
> Right, this is currently not supported.  Theoretically for security
> reasons, but security and packaging in Emacs have rarely been mutual
> considerations.  Adding it wouldn't be difficult, but coming up with a
> sensible fallback strategy might be.

Without such a system the package could be without use in many cases.

I noticed recently that some external packages such as projectile where
copied but not to the extend or why that they are useful.

For example Borg only works because of magit, epkg is almost useles
without Borg.

If the packages complete use case isn't meat it should at least get all
the features that it is useful without applying hacks so it can be used
in the next Emacs version.
I understand that you try to get it closer however that would then only
affect anything after Emacs 29.

Br,

Björn