Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:19:17 +0200

>>> I believe that Stefan explained this, in distinguishing between
>>> software
>>> that you have to run on your own system and a fixed service that
>>> runs on
>>> non-free software.  A web browser is not at fault when requesting a
>>> website from a non-free web server.
>>
>> What if the software only implements non-free standards such as Exchange?
>
> The term "non-free" doesn't apply to standards.  How do you read the
> source and share modifications of a protocol specification?

Maybe I should have phrased it differently but the mapi protocol to
connect to Exchange is only implemented in Microsoft Exchange.
Unless there's a foss software that basically reimplements Microsoft
Exchange having a package that implements such standards in Elpa is like having
a package that happens to be able to talk to the api of services such as
spotify.

But even for protocols or file type standards there is documentation that is
needed to implement such.

Br,

Björn