Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 13:22:46 -0500

>> Those for `extensions/` can be handled by adding `extensions/` to
>> the `load-path` in the `<pkg>-autoloads.el` generated by
>> `package-vc-install`.
> OK, but how would this generalise?  Hard-coding something like "if
> 'extensions/' is renamed to the '', then add 'extensions/' to
> `load-path'" doesn't sound desirable.

Agreed.  The main problem is that `:renames` doesn't say if it's done
for ELisp files or for something else.

If we knew that than it would be a simple matter of checking if the new
name is just "".

There are other packages with extra ELisp subdirectories
(e.g. `proof-general` and `hyperbole`) which handle them differently.

I'd be tempted to say that the way `corfu` and `vertico` do it
(i.e. via `:renames`) should be discouraged.  E.g. let them add
`extensions` to `load-path` "by hand" rather than get a similar result
via `:renames`.

        Stefan