Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 19:03:45 -0500

> Which makes it by design less reproduceable unless it vc keeps track of
> all the version control information like last ref of that package and
> its source. But I assume that's what's done here.

VC is just a thin layer over Git, just like Magit only much more limited
(in exchange for working with the VCSs).  AFAIK neither of them worries
about "keep[ing] track of all the version control information like last ref
of that package and its source".  They let Git worry about that.

After you `package-vc-install`, you can use Magit to your heart's
content on the resulting clone.

> Something like make bootstrap could be very useful e.g. to use your
> configuration on another machine, so that emacs can start after all
> packages needed in init.el are present.
> https://emacsmirror.net/manual/borg/Using-your-configuration-on-another-machine.html

`package-(vc-)selected-packages` is designed for that kind of purpose.

        Stefan