Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 20:34:49 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 18:56:01 +1100
>>
>> > Is the LSP server you needed to add still missing from the database
>> > currently on master?  If so, please suggest the addition(s).
>>
>> I'm not sure that intent will hold. It has the underlying assumption
>> there is a definitive language server for each language.
>
> No, it doesn't.  Please see the current value of the variable and its
> documentation in the manual.

I guess you will have to explain as I've looked at the documentation
again and still don't see how you can have two different language
servers for the same language. While you can have multiple entries for
the same language modes, only the first one in the list take effect.

>> There are multiple servers for many languages and individual
>> preferences/requirements can differ.
>
> Yes, and the variable already supports that.

How? Please show as it isn't clear to me from the documentation and
there isn't a single entry which shows support for multiple language
servers for the same language (where only one is active at a time of course). .

>> The first thing I had to do in order to use eglot was modify this
>> variable to add my preferred Javascript server.
>
> Which one?  Can it be added to the variable if it's still missing?

I included it at the end of my post and you deleted it. You can certainly add
it,
but it will only take effect if it comes before the existing entry for
javascript and of course, if you do that, it will be irritating for those who
want the
original value.