Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 17:47:36 +0000

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> How would making `eglot-server-programs' help in that respect?
>
> If it's meant to be extended by users, then one could use the custom
> interface for it, not add-to-list then.
>
>> If the `defvar' were just to be replaced by a `defcustom', the result
>> would still just be a variable, that couldn't be `add-to-list'ed
>> before it is loaded.
>
> This will depend on the implementation.  Say the current content of
> `eglot-server-programs' is in `eglot-server-programs-builtin' and
> `eglot-server-programs' is a custom variable, and you have a function
> like this in eglot.el:
>
> (defun eglot-server-programs ()
>   (append eglot-server-programs
>           eglot-server-programs-builtin))
>
> then a user can just setq the custom eglot-server-programs without being
> worry about the rest.

Honestly, I think that there should be a command like `add-to-option'
that can handle these things automatically and defer loading if
possible.  There are plenty of cases where you would either do something
like this, or have a ...-user-list that is appended together with some
build-in list, and even though the actual problem is shared among all
user options.