Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 08:03:51 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 19:47:52 -0800
>> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>, João Távora
>>  <joaotavora@gmail.com>
>> From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
>>
>> I think it would be super-helpful for there to be a way in the
>> Customize interface to indicate that you want to add A, B, C to a
>> defcustom list, and/or remove X, Y, Z.
>
> We already have that, AFAIU what you mean: see, for example
>
>   M-x customize-variable RET image-load-path RET

My issue here is that while you can modify the list, when saved you will
store the entire modified list, and no the modifications you made on the
base variable.

E.g. considering `eglot-server-programs', just because I want to an
additional server entry, I don't want to fix the list of servers in a
`custom-set-variables' block and ignore any future updates that have
nothing to do with the additional entry.