Re: scratch/comp-static-data 5aa3db2f11: comp: Add support for compiling

From: Vibhav Pant
Subject: Re: scratch/comp-static-data 5aa3db2f11: comp: Add support for compiling elisp constants into static data.
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 14:16:19 +0530

On Wed, 2022-11-16 at 23:32 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
> ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
> ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
> ]]]
>
> I can't find previous discussion of this, but if the idea is to make
> Emacs crash if you try to set a "constant" symbol, I think it is a
> bad
> idea.  The chance of breaking something is very high, and there is
> little to gain.

Hi Richard,

Perhaps "constant" is a misnomer here. If you are refering to defconst-
defined variables, that is not what the patch is about. I'm refering to
self-evaluating forms/objects referenced by elisp code, i.e. the ones
that the constant vector in a bytecode object contains. The elisp
reference manual states that mutating self-evaluating forms results in
undefined behaviour, so marking them as const should be safe IMO.

Best,
Vibhav
--
Vibhav Pant