Re: scratch/comp-static-data 5aa3db2f11: comp: Add support for compiling

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: scratch/comp-static-data 5aa3db2f11: comp: Add support for compiling elisp constants into static data.
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:47:55 -0500

> The follow elisp snipper is an example of code that when compiled under
> this branch, crashes Emacs:
> ;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
> (defun fault-function ()
>   (let ((a [1 2 3]))
>     (aset a 0 5)
>     a))

I'm not deluded enough to think it's currently impossible to crash Emacs
with a well-crafted piece of ELisp code, but we do aim for that, so this
would be a significant step backwards :-(

Can we change your patch so that it makes the section writable rather
than ".rodata"?

Otherwise, we'd have to adjust the PURE_P tests so as to turn those
crashes into mere errors (I guess we could also try and use some kind of
SEGV signal handler for that purpose, but IIUC it can be tricky to do it
reliably/portably).

        Stefan