Re: Eglot, project.el, and python virtual environments

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Eglot, project.el, and python virtual environments
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 08:49:56 -0800

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

>> I spent some time looking at eglot.el and project.el, and was mostly
>> surprised to find how little they need to know about each other.
>
> In particular, project.el knows nothing of eglot.el :-), as it should.
>
>> So yes, Danny's "hack" seems quite sufficient.
>
> Yes.  I will soon update the manual to contain

Thanks!

>> Just a suggestion!
>
> Thanks, but have you tried setting a dir-local value for
> eglot-server-programs?

I haven't, but I'm sure that would work fine. On the other hand, it
means more points of configuration (quite a few of them), and if we're
already returning a manually-constructed project, it would be nice to be
able to use that for everything necessary. Projects are so loosely
defined, it seems we could get a lot of mileage out of returning a
custom project type that held Eglot-specific configuration. I understand
you're unenthusiastic about having Eglot fool with project-related
configuration, and I understand why, but it seems like this could be a
very thin wrapper that was very Eglot-specific.

Anyway I don't need to push it. My original problem is solved, I'm glad
the documentation is being expanded, and I appreciate being able to move
to Eglot!

Thanks,
Eric