Re: Subprojects in project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Subprojects in project.el
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 03:57:30 +0200

On 26/11/22 02:00, João Távora wrote:
Dmitry Gutov<dgutov@yandex.ru>  writes:

Even when there are just 2 of them, it's 2x the initial delay, which
can already be noticeable with Tramp. E.g. my ping to the "mainland"
is around 100ms. And filesystem operations might take several
roundtrips.
If you want to use subprojects over TRAMP and the super-project and the
sub-project are both identified by marker files files, then it's not
something we can avoid.  IOW we do just as many marker-file probes as
needed: you pay for what you get.  If the user wants out of the bargain,
he can customize one of the search functions to give up in TRAMP
contexts.

We aren't even close to top efficiency WRT file operations now. And your idea is also based on hand-crafting project-find-functions to only contain the necessary items.

As opposed to real-life scenario of Projectile just adding its function at the front.

I don't entirely understand the algorithm you're proposing here, but
it sounds vaguely like what I'm writing now, so you might like the
result.
Where/when can I find this code?

You and others can now find it here: https://debbugs.gnu.org/41572#186