Re: Release branch emacs-29

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Release branch emacs-29
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:00:45 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 11:24:47 -0800
> Cc: John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > From now on please install bug fixes to the emacs-29 branch (they will be
> > merged to master soon enough), while new features and improvements in
> > existing features should be installed on master.
>
> Now that we have sorted out all copyright assignment details, I have
> pushed a new version of scratch/use-package.  Everything that we do not
> have a copyright assignment for has been checked and correctly marked
> with "Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes".

What is the status of the manual?  I don't see any FIXMEs or notes what else
should be done -- is it finished?

Also, I see no announcement on NEWS for use-package -- did I miss it?

> On that branch are the following newly added files:
>
>     ├── doc
>     │   └── misc
>     │       └── use-package.texi
>     ├── lisp
>     │   └── use-package
>     │       ├── bind-chord.el
>     │       ├── bind-key.el
>     │       ├── use-package-bind-key.el
>     │       ├── use-package-chords.el
>     │       ├── use-package-core.el
>     │       ├── use-package-delight.el
>     │       ├── use-package-diminish.el
>     │       ├── use-package-ensure-system-package.el
>     │       ├── use-package-ensure.el
>     │       ├── use-package-jump.el
>     │       ├── use-package-lint.el
>     │       └── use-package.el
>     └── test
>         └── lisp
>             └── use-package
>                 ├── use-package-chords-tests.el
>                 └── use-package-tests.el
>
>     7 directories, 15 files

Btw, I'm quite surprised to see that it's such a large package.

> Is it preferred that I merge to master or emacs-29 at this point?

To emacs-29, please.  But it looks like you forked the branch from master,
so you will have to redo that by forking from emacs-29, or else you will
have merge conflicts and/or will undo stuff that was fixed on the release
branch and not yet merged to master.

Thanks.