Moving etc/NEWS around causing release branch merge to fail again

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Moving etc/NEWS around causing release branch merge to fail again
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 07:49:48 -0800

Merging the release branch is failing due to our practice of moving
etc/NEWS around again.  Here's what I see:

    $ ./admin/automerge -r -n 1 -b -t -p
    Resetting...
    Pulling...
    Merging...
    merged ok
    automerge: etc/NEWS has been modified

I'll see if I can find the time and energy to investigate this today,
but otherwise it might be a couple of days until I'll merge emacs-29 to
master again.  If anyone knows what's going on, please fix it or even
better tell me which steps to take.