Re: Multiple references to a footnote in texi sources

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Multiple references to a footnote in texi sources
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:47:02 +0100

Hi Stefan, emacs developers,
* Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> [2022-12-13; 11:08 -08]:
> (Have you ever seen a book where a footnote is referred to from more
> than one place in the text?  I haven't.)

yes.  I have.[1]

I also use it often, but not in published material.

And this is also standard on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Footnotes#Footnotes:_using_a_source_more_than_once

Ciao; Gregor

[1] For instance

    Ullrich, Otto (1977/ 3rd Ed. 1988): Technik und
    Herrschaft. Vom Hand-werk zur verdinglichten
    Blockstruktur industrieller Produktion; Frankfurt am
    Main

    uses footnotes to reference sources.  On the first
    occurrence the source is described in bibliographic
    detail, subsequent footnotes mentioning the same source
    mention the first footnote number which features the
    bibliography.  Therefore the same footnote number is
    used several times but only from within footnotes.