Re: vc-git feature proposale: modeline and annotate

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: vc-git feature proposale: modeline and annotate
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 09:53:57 +0200

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 22:36:56 +0100
>
> I would like to suggest to have, at least optionally, the result
> of
> (shell-command "git name-rev HEAD")
>
> In the modeline and/or   in the annotation buffer.

What prevents you from having that?  IOW, why are you posting this
here, when you can already customize the heck out your mode lines?

> I know that the HASH is more reliable but I find the result of the above
> command sometimes a convenient alternative.

We currently show the branch, but not the commit.  So what you want is
to have the "HEAD" thingy to be on the mode line, literally?  Since
that is almost always true, why is that addition useful?