Theravada Buddhist calendar and holidays

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Theravada Buddhist calendar and holidays
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 00:12:29 -0500

Hi everyone. Recently it has occurred to me that I would like to have Theravada Buddhist holidays in my Emacs calendar. This is a nontrivial undertaking and I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knew of an existing effort so that I could avoid duplicating work. I found a file of diary entries for Mahanikaya but it contains only Uposathas (no other holidays), and Mahanikaya is not the method I need to use for a Theravada calendar anyway. Perhaps someone here will know of existing work. Assuming the result is a correct Theravada calendar (and I will be consulting two very learned Buddhist friends at every step of the way to ensure that it is correct) and formatted to GNU Code standards, I'd be happy to submit it for your consideration.

Let me know your thoughts! I wasn't able to find much online, but thought it would be prudent to ask here.

Thank you.

---David