emacs-erc

[Feature Request] Right-aligned nicks

From: Eric S. Londres
Subject: [Feature Request] Right-aligned nicks
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 22:46:14 -0400

Hello,

This is a feature I have wanted in ERC for some time. HexChat does it
rather well. Basically, instead of including the nickname for someone
in-line with their message, there will be a nearly constant vertical
barrier (defined as the length of the longest in the current room) where
nicks will appear left of (right-aligned) and messages will appear right
of (left-aligned).

For example, here's a screenshot of HexChat:
<https://i.imgur.com/qqG29RU.png>

In my opinion, this makes the channel messages much easier to read,
because all the messages begin in a consistent place. It also makes it
easier to determine who has posted a given message, because your eyes
can move to a familiar spot in the buffer.

I asked about this in #emacs and was told to send my request to this
mailing list.

Thanks, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help implement
this — I have some Elisp experience, although no experience working with
ERC itself.

Eric S. Londres