emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Introduction and Fonts

From: Matthew Batson
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Introduction and Fonts
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:46:14 +0000

Hi Krishna,

I'll quickly introduce myself too, as this is also my first time posting to
this mailing list. I'm a Creative Writing student from Australia. I've had an
interest in programming as a hobby since I was young, and discovered the world
of Emacs about 3 years ago, and quickly fell in love with the program. I
definitely know what you mean by the rabbit-hole haha!

As for fonts, I've been using Source Code Pro for a few years now. I find it
very comfortable, legible, and without any little quirks that irritate me. In
the modes I use for writing though (org-mode and markdown-mode), I've actually
been using a variable pitch font from the same font collection: Source Serif
Pro.
That said, I'm contemplating moving back to a monospaced font for writing in
Emacs now, as the improved reading experience with a variable pitch font does
come at the cost of making it harder to move the cursor around accurately within
the text (for context, I'm an evil-mode user). So I'm also interested to find
out what others here are using for writing.

Kind regards,
Matt