emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Introduction and Fonts

From: Oliver Taylor
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Introduction and Fonts
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:02:05 -0700

> On Jul 25, 2022, at 9:51 PM, Krishna Jani <krishnajani2005@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> […] I am wanting a change and I thought if the
> members of this community could recommend some fonts they use. There are
> a lot of mono-space fonts to be used but a lot of them are made for the
> sole purpose of editing code, on the contrary I wish to use a font that
> is great for the purpose of writing which is the bulk of my workflow in
> Emacs.

I’ve found that my perferred font varies a lot based on the system and display
I’m using. For example, on my home Mac I can use any font I want and it always
looks great (largely because of the high resolution display and
font-rendering). But on my work Windows machine I have to search a little
harder for something that looks good.

On my Mac I use San Francisco Mono (Apple’s font). On my work laptop screen I
like Source Sans, and on my work desktop display I like JetBrains Mono.

Personally, I use mono space fonts nearly all the time, but I regularly try out
new variable-width fonts. On high resolution displays I really like IBM Plex
Serif. The iA Writer fonts (which are very nice) are basically a fork of these.
But there are lots of great alternatives — even “old school” fonts like
Verdana. If I’m looking for something new I’ll typically download something
from google or font squirrel and see what it feels like. But, again, I think it
all depends on your display/rendering.

I think the key is to experiment and find something you like. To make this
easier I wrote a bunch of lisp code that allows be to switch between different
sets of fonts. It is somewhat based on Prot’s config, but I’ve refashioned it
for my own needs, you can check it out here:

https://github.com/olivertaylor/dotfiles/blob/master/emacs/lisp/custom-fonts.el