Re: [Orgmode] Emphasis font-lock question.

From: Alex Bochannek
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Emphasis font-lock question.
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:50:46 -0700

"Ed Hirgelt" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 9/8/06, Alex Bochannek <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>     It's OK to me if */foo/* means italic and bold (this is how Gnus
>     rendered your example), but */foo/bar* shouldn't. Markers, stacked or
>     otherwise, should come in symmetrical pairs.
>

> Nice example because there is a symmetric pair there.  I have always thought
> that this was a very ambiguous notation.  I can see */foo/bar* meaning that
> foo
> is in bold italic and bar is just bold with the two words run together.

I am perfectly happy to restrict this notation to require identical
marker clusters surrounding the emphasized text. If you want to have
text with different emphasis styles run togeter, the below notation
seems safer.

> For this reason (pesky slashes in path names, + as bullet characters,
> underscores in names) I've abandoned this notation.  The @<> is more verbose,
> but unambiguous.

The less typing the better for me. I used to use enriched-mode and the
sequences did get a bit tedious.

Alex.