[Orgmode] Re: Incompatible change in latest push

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Incompatible change in latest push
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:40:13 -0400

James TD Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2008-10-16 08:28:29(-0400), Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> There is no rule that I'm aware of that the drawer needs to be at the
>> top of the task.  My drawers have moved down for some tasks over the
>> years because other things were inserted at the top of the task by org
>> during regular note taking.
>
> I'm not so much concerned with the drawers being at the top of the entry as
> their being in a well-defined place in it. Org inserts them at the start of
> the
> entry, so I'm used to them being there, and as I have
> `org-cycle-include-plain-lists' set, it prevents them from being
> hidden.

Requiring the entries to be in a well-defined place isn't going to work
well for people who edit org files outside of Emacs (unless you can
handle the case when the drawers are not in the correct place).  Org
files are just plain text and you can (I don't) edit thing with whatever
tools you like.

> Isn't it inconvenient having the clock drawer somewhere in the middle of an
> entry, for example if you want to adjust clock times?

Not at all.  I rarely actually open the clock drawers.  From a clock
line in the agenda I can go directly to the clock entry inside the
drawer and it's just a convenience for me that the clock entries are all
nicely tucked away in the clock drawer.  I don't really care where the
drawer is physically in the task.  I use the clock data for clock
reports (mostly in the agenda with 'R')

The problem is the clock drawer is created sometime later after the task
is created.  Exactly when (or if) the clock drawer is created is
controlled by a variable org-clock-into-drawer (with a default of 2
meaning create the clock drawer when the 2nd clock line is created)

If you have a new task and clock it in you get a clock line by default
(not in a clock drawer).  Then if you change the state of the task with
logging that goes in front of the clock line... then the next time you
clock in that task it creates the clock drawer to include both clock
lines.  In this case the task looks like this:

Example:

- create new org file with test task

,----[ test.org ]
| * TODO New Task
`----

- clock in the task
- change task to waiting (enter note)
- clock out task
- clock in the task again (creates clock drawer)
- change task to TODO
- change task to DONE
- clock out task

(I have org-log-states-order-reversed set true so the most recent is at
the top.)

,----[ test.org ]
| * DONE New task
|   CLOSED: [2008-10-16 Thu 11:23]
|   - State "DONE"       [2008-10-16 Thu 11:23]
|   - State "TODO"       [2008-10-16 Thu 11:23]
|   - State "WAITING"    [2008-10-16 Thu 11:22] \\
|     for something
|     :CLOCK:
|     CLOCK: [2008-10-16 Thu 11:22]--[2008-10-16 Thu 11:23] =>  0:01
|   CLOCK: [2008-10-16 Thu 11:20]--[2008-10-16 Thu 11:22] =>  0:02
|   :END:

`----

-Bernt