[Orgmode] Re: [OT] Windows and emacs

From: Olaf Dietsche
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] Windows and emacs
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:46:39 +0100

Raimund Kohl-Füchsle <address@hidden> writes:

> it may happen that I have to switch to Windows XP and since I have no
> idea how XP works (up to this point in time I only ran Linux machines) I
> thought to ask since I want to stick with org-mode: How do I get
> org-mode and emacs run best with XP?  As far as I know there are at
> least two ways to get emacs running; one is to simply download emacs,
> two is downloading cygwin; if it is cygwin that I have to go with then
> which emacs?  If I saw it right there are several choices ... ummm ...
> any hints on that?

I just downloaded emacs from the gnu site:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Getting-Emacs.html>
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/>

As others already said, a native emacs is better integrated.
Meanwhile, I can use nearly the same .emacs files in Linux and
Windows.

Cygwin is helpful in itself. Since you're used to Linux, it will help
you in the beginning and if you set your path accordingly, you can use
cygwin commands in the Windows command shell as well. On the other
side, it doesn't hurt, if you become familiar with Windows tools.

Regards, Olaf