Re: [Orgmode] MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable

From: Matthew Jones
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:40:05 -0400

Sven, thanks for the wonderful feedback.  MobileOrg Android does attach a timestamp to the note (similar to what the iphone version does, just below the headline) but anything else you want as part of the heading you do have to type manually.

I haven't yet published a roadmap because I've been on this frenetic pace to try to get close to feature parity with the iPhone version.   I'm currently working on giving you the ability to change TODO states... this is a bit of a challenge because of how I store each of the org files.   Richard's iPhone version actually reads the contents of the file into a database (I think?  Or at least... some other data structure) which lends itself well to the org-mobile-push model where an updated heading just gets pushed into the mobileorg.org file.    When I wrote my implementation I had not fully grasped that concept yet so I just store the file and parse it on-demand as you drill down into your file's contents.   In order to support editing files and changing TODO states, I need to switch to Richard's model of storing the components that make up the file instead of trying to parse it on-demand.

Once I have this finished I plan to release the Beta, and at the same time push the application into the Android Market (still free and open source, mind you) as well as release comprehensive documentation.   I think (hope) that I can put the information on Richard's site dedicated to his version of MobileOrg and have his documentation be valid and easily understood for both version.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net