[Orgmode] arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: [Orgmode] arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 00:26:39 +0200

Dear all,

I believe that many members of this list with an interest in music
(notation/composition) might find the http://lilypond.org project "addictive"
(in the nicest possible manner): the concept is rather similar to writing TeX,
there is very good Emacs support (if you know where to look), it is all
OpenSource, there is extensive documentation (in LaTeX format with embedded
lilypond snippets), the print quality is excellent.

I mention this because while arranging some piece of music recently, I noticed
that Org-mode might be helpful in this context - it is probably already
possible by tweaking org-babel a bit: lilypond encourages the user to structure
music in a way that lends itself rather naturally to processing with Org-mode -
you can assign a theme, a few bar with notes or even whole voices to variables
and use them repeatedly. And imagine using Org-mode's outline capabilities to
structure a piece of music. Exporting an org-file with lilypond-snippets in it
to PDF or HTML might also be an interesting option.

I have not yet put any effort into it and just wanted to find out if anybody
apart from me finds the combination of Org-mode and lilypond (potentially)
exciting.

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--