Re: [Orgmode] Re: adding new plain lists item changes previous one it it

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: adding new plain lists item changes previous one it it ends in a number on a single lijne followed by a dot
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:04:28 +0100

Hello,

> I understand that blank-number-dot starts a plain list item. But in
> my example the numbered list would be second level whilst the
> unordered list would be first level (of indentation). Org-mode
> rightly inserts a dash but why does it fiddle with another list item
> of different (second) level when inserting an new first level item?
> Is this necessary to in order to insert the next dashed item?

Before applying any modification to a list, Org will check its
integrity and correct it. It is necessary, as inserting an item can
change bullets, which in turn can change indentation. And we want this
just right.

Even if it wasn't the case, Org would still recognize the line as an
item start, and problems would arise sooner or later (for example upon
exporting).

> In my case I could see the change of "2007." to "1." because it was
> so near it was also on the display. But this may happen with list
> items which are not displayed and therefore one would not recognise
> the damage...

I understand this. But as it has already been told in this thread, "."
as bullet separator is risky and you've just encountered the risk. I
don't see a solution about it, but I'm all ears to any reasonable way
to handle this.

Regards,

--
Nicolas