Re: [O] Passing font size to exported LaTeX table

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Passing font size to exported LaTeX table
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 21:42:14 +0200

Hi John and Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:
>>     John Hendy wrote:
>>     > I can control a table font size directly from the .tex file like so:
>>     >
>>     > ---
>>     > \scriptsize{
>>     > \begin{center}
>>     > \begin{tabular}{lllrr}
>>     >
>>     > table entries here
>>     >
>>     > \end{tabular}
>>     > \end{center}
>>     > }
>>     > ---
>>     >
>>     > Any way to pass this from org-mode? Otherwise, I keep changing the org
>> file,
>>     > exporting, and then having to add this to the tex file and re-export.
>>     >
>>     > I tried [...]
>>     > without success.
>>
>>     You put the things in the wrong order:
>>
>>     1. put a group around some LaTeX commands
>>     2. add the macro \scriptsize in it
>>
>>     Hence:
>>
>>     #+begin_src org
>>      #+begin_latex
>>      {\scriptsize
>>      #+end_latex
>>
>>      |org|table|here|
>>
>>      #+begin_latex
>>      }
>>      #+end_latex
>>     #+end_src
>>
>>     should do it (not tested).
>>
>> I'm getting this error upon export (no PDF created):
>> ---
>> ! Argument of \frame has an extra }.
>> <inserted text>
>>                 \par
>> l.142 }
>>
>> Runaway argument?
>>  \par \par \par
>> ! Paragraph ended before \frame was complete.
>> <to be read again>
>>                    \par
>> l.142 }
>>
>> ! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
>> <recently read> }
>>
>> l.142 }
>>
>> ! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
>> \endframe ->\egroup
>>                     \begingroup \def address@hidden {frame}
>> l.145 \end{frame}
>>
>> )
>> Runaway argument?
>> ---
>>
>> I'm assuming something is not liking that dangling "}"...
>>
>> Thoughts?

Now, a real-life example that used to work -- and still does!

#+LaTeX: {\fontsize{3.8}{4.2}\selectfont

#+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id local
| Task                 |  Orig. |   Time | Estim. | PRIOR | SCHEDULED |
DEADLINE |
|----------------------+--------+--------+--------+-------+-----------+----------|
| * POC                | 856:00 | 698:50 | 775:55 |       |           |

| ** Setup             |  32:00 |   2:00 |  10:00 |       |           |

| *** Bugs or features |        |  32:05 |   0:15 |       |           |

| *** TODO Caching?    |        |        |        |       |           |

#+END:

#+LaTeX: }

So, diffs are here:

- I'm using an explicit size
- I don't use LaTeX blocks but just LaTeX one-liners

> I didn't try Seb's workaround but your original solution almost works:
> what stops it is YAB in the latex exporter, but having been bitten by
> such a couple of times in the past, I applied my usual[fn:1] workaround
> and presto! it works:
>
> ,----
> |
> | * foo
> |
> | #+begin_latex
> | \scriptsize{ %}
> | #+end_latex
> |
> | #+tblname: foo
> | | table | here |
> | |-------+------|
> | | table | here |
> |
> | #+begin_latex
> | }
> | #+end_latex
> `----
>
> The opening brace on the \scriptsize line confuses the exporter and it
> leaves the table alone. Adding a commented-out closing brace unconfuses
> it.
>
> [fn:1] Maybe I should add it to the FAQ?

Asking the question is answering it... ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban