[O] Making ePub books

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: [O] Making ePub books
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 17:59:30 +1100

Debian Squeeze; org 7.7; emacs 23.2.1

I am back to trying to make ePub books from org articles/books. I am
working on a book which currently produces about 100 pages in LaTeX
export. It will be about 200 pages when finished.

ePub uses XHTML for the main content. So, I export the org file to
HTML. It verifies as a valid XHTML1.0 file at the w3c verification
site: http://validator.w3.org/

OK. Then wrap it up in the mess that is the ePub specification. It
actually reads OK in FBReader and in Iceweasel with the ePub add on,
BUT it does not validate. There are several problems, but most of the
errors involve the "name" attribute. For example:

<h2 id="history"><a name="sec-1" id="sec-1"></a><span class="section-
number-2">1</span> History</h2>

ePub does not like the name in there. Wipe out all the name="xxx" and
the problem goes away. Everything else still works.

I know that I can do a post export clean up of the XHTML file, but I
wonder if this is set in some variable that I cannot find.

And, as a general question, whay have both name="sec-1" and id="sec-1"
in the same element?

I would like to automate everything to go from org to ePub. It doesn't
seem too hard, but I'm a legal academic, not a programmer :-). Any
pointers appreciated.

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:address@hidden