Re: [O] Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:13:52 -0600

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>>> ... oh, one more thing: to use it, *don't do* C-c C-e (that will give
>>> you the standard exporter). You have to invoke it explicitly with
>>>
>>>           M-x org-export-dispatch RET
>>
>> Got it. Works. What's the status on this exporter? I have settings in
>> a setupfile for latex export, which this (obviously) doesn't pick up
>> since it's bypassing. Thus, it looks like I'll have to set individual
>> options via the org-e-latex family of variables. But... it might be
>> nice to know when this will be pulled in. Should I invest in it or
>> stick to the normal exporter for now (which does work with the
>> booktabs patch)?
>
> The LaTeX and ASCII backends are still in EXPERIMENTAL.  The underlying
> parser, etc. are in contrib.
>
> I don't know if there is a schedule for moving this to the Org Mode
> core, but it looks certain to make it there someday.
>
> My $0.02 would be to wait for it to move to core and have some
> documentation outside the docstrings in the .el files and the occasional
> message to the list.

Cool -- thanks for the feedback.

> At this point Nicolas welcomes comments, so if you have time to
> experiment with it you might be able to help him out.

I just may! This will be hobby-ish, so we'll see. The current exporter
works so well and the booktabs patch is handling my workflow find, so
not sure I have huge incentive to try something new at this point, but
still might try it out.

> I'm using it now on a real project with a distant time horizon.  The
> document is still simple, but the experimental LaTeX exporter is doing a
> good job.  I'm finding it relatively easy to configure.

Yes -- the variables in the group seemed super clear/transparent.

Thanks again for the input,
John