[O] missing appointments

From: Rodrigo Amestica
Subject: [O] missing appointments
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:32:00 -0500

Hi,

I use appt to connect desktop notifications to appointments in my
agenda. However, the connection between the appointments and the
notification system does not happen until I visit the agenda with, for
example, "C-c a a", which I sometimes forget to invoke and I end up
missing appointments.

Trying to automate I created a short cut like this:

emacs -f org-agenda-list my-main-org-file

However, this seems to execute org-agenda-list before my-main-org-file
has fully opened in its own buffer and I end up with the window split into
two buffers: top one scratch and bottom one my-main-org-file, which is
visually very annoying. It is completely mysterious to me the timing
at which different actions take place within emacs and how to control
and sequence them, like a 'wait' call.

Is there a way to automatically execute org-agenda-list after
my-main-org-file has fully finished opening in its buffer?

Is it there some more streamlined way to connect agenda to
notifications such that I would not need to explicitly enable them
every time I open the file?

thanks,
 Rodrigo