Re: [O] Date-tree navigation question

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Date-tree navigation question
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 13:34:49 -0500

Robert Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a short simple key sequence that will take you to the last
> entry in a date-tree and open that headline?  Slightly better would be
> a way to go to the last, and open the last N headlines.  It could be
> generalized into "go to end of current item and open last N items of
> whatever depth" when applied to other outline forms.
>
> I know how to do this with tabs and cursor movement to walk down the
> tree opening headlines as needed.  This requires more work and paying
> attention.
>
> I have not found a simple way to do this.  Does one exist?

Can't you just do something like this on the top-level headline for the
tree

C-c C-k C-c C-f M-7 C-c C-p

(where N=7 in this example)

That puts the cursor on the 7th-last heading (hope that makes sense)
It's not particularly short though...
  C-c C-k - show all siblings
  C-c C-f - go forward to next headline
  M-7 C-c C-p - go back to previous heading 7 times

or maybe

C-c C-f C-b C-c C-r

You should be able to build a local interactive function that takes a
prefix argument for N to get you where you want to be.

You can also use M-3 S-TAB to open show level 3 tasks and then navigate
the folded tree.

HTH,
Bernt