Re: [O] more helm-bibtex/org-ref questions

From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Subject: Re: [O] more helm-bibtex/org-ref questions
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:15:37 +0200

Dear John,

On Fri, 26-06-2015, at 22:58, John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:
> You could have multiple file fields I suppose, and adapt [1] to give you
> a choice of which one to open.

That is an intriguing suggestion. I'll try to play with it.

> Personally, I have one pdf per bibtex entry, named by the key of the
> entry, in a directory called bibtex-pdfs somewhere defined by
> org-ref-pdf-directory. There are ~1300 pdfs in there now. I always
> access them through helm bibtex.
>
> admittedly, I don't have the SI or other stuff around usually. I don't
> use bibtex to keep track of the directories where I write manuscripts
> either.

I don't use bibtex to keep track of the dirs where I write manuscripts
either, but SI et al I often do want to store. The SI more and more as time
goes by, given the current policy of many journals of moving the methods
details to SI ---I could merge PDFs into a single one, but that is another
step.

> You could always make links to these other things in the associated
> notes entry. or put org-links in a bibtex field, and then you can open
> them with C-c o (if you setup links to work everywhere). That way,
> opening the pdf is easy, and opening the other things is just opening
> the entry and running the link open command.

That is a great suggestion. However, I just realized that I would not be
able to then open any of the links in an Android device (where I do part of
my reading) or in, say, JabRef (I'd need to have a script run to reformat
them, but then propagating changes both ways starts getting very
cumbersome).

I need to think some more about this. Thanks for your suggestions.

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte