Re: [O] orgmode and a database

From: Charles Millar
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode and a database
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 16:01:38 -0400

Uwe,

On 04/05/2016 06:32 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
    > Hi,
    > On 04/04/2016 03:46 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > I have been using recutils with orgmode for more than year - still
    > learning of course. So far, my experience has been fine. I am still
    > developing some sort of standard databases, e.g. one for contacts,
    > another for finance type of records, etc.

Do you have some example or a pointer or so. I don't know even how to
start.

A caveat - I am slowly learning lisp - of any kind - and I have not programmed in over 45 years (college).

See the attached files - one is a template for entering data into a recfile and the other is a sample of how I use some of the data in that recfile. I also have a couple of remote-descriptors so that I don't have reinvent the wheel for every recfile.

Originally I set up an org capture template and switched modes for entries into a refile, but this was not a "good" solution. In the recutils list I mentioned org capture and perhaps it could be modified to recutils, but I never sent Jose a use case.

> Have you checked out the two recutils mailing lists? Not very
    > active at the moment. I mentioned in those lists that perhaps some
    > sort of capture much like org-capture might be useful, but have
    > made no further effort in that regards.

    > I picked up a excellent pointers as to using recutils to create
    > org-mode tables from Jose Marchesi's and Eric Shulte's ob-rec.el
    > discussion on this list back in 2011. I ultimately export the tables
    > and related text to LaTeXpdf docs.

Could you provide me a link, please?

Here's the thread on Gmane

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/37697/match=ob+rec+el