[O] MobileOrg: adding new file

From: Benoît Coste
Subject: [O] MobileOrg: adding new file
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:20:05 +0000

Hello

So what I wanted to discuss was the possibility for a MobileOrg to create new files from its phone and keep them synched.

Currently the list of synched files is a file called "index.org" stored in the synch folder and Emacs and MobileOrg use ite for pulling changes. However everytime Emacs pushes a changes, it overwrites this file. Because for pushing, Emacs use a second list of files, the variable 'org-agenda-files and it will recreate a new index.org based on org-agenda-files content. To conclude, if MobileOrg had added a file to synch in index.org, it will be removed from the list after next Emacs push.

So my suggestion is for Emacs to stop using org-agenda-files to generate the list of synched file but use the currently existing index.org. In case index.org does not exist (for eg. at repo initialization), then org-agenda-files can be used to create it.

To be honest, after a lot of reflexion, I think more and more about using a external synch mechanism (such as git) instead of using org-mobile.el. A positive point would be to allow non-Emacs people to use MobileOrg with synchronization. So I may not even use my own suggestion but I still think it is worth to mention this "incoherence".

Regards

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Benoît Coste <address@hidden> writes:

> I am working on remodeling MobileOrg for Android and I'd like to discuss a
> few changes for mobile-org.el.

I read your mail from a month ago. Unfortunately, I don't know enough of
this library to be useful to the discussion.

> I am trying to contact the maintainer of mobile org. The file mobile-org.el
> says address@hidden but I tried it and it is not working. Does anyone
> know who is currently maintaining mobile-org.el ?

It is part of Org core, so anyone with write access to repository can
maintain it. The current maintainer is Bastien Guerry, who reads this
list. IOW, you can discuss the changes here.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou