Re: [O] Best diagram, image software?

From: Jeremie Juste
Subject: Re: [O] Best diagram, image software?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 22:14:42 +0200

Hello,

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> I know lots of you use Emacs and org mode to prepare scholarly books and
> papers, either doing the HTML or, more probably, the Latex
> export. Question: Let's say I want to produce a math text with
> Emacs/org-mode/Latex. What is the best way to make diagrams and
> images? I've seen things like Inkscape and LibreOffice Draw. But then there
> is Gnuplot and Tikz. Yes, what Tikz does seems optimal,
> but the learning curve is a year's sabbatical. Just wondering what you people
> are using to do your images.

I'm very impressed by tikz and gnuplot. I use both of them inefficiently
sometimes trying to understand some code here and there. There
documentation are very good though. It would be great for a sabatical in
my opinion.

Because I didn't take the time to learn tikz and gnuplot, these days I
mostly make graphics with R and ggplot2 though. The advantage is that in
addition of the good documentation there is a quite a number of people
using it so it more likely that some people have encountered your
problem before or has a solution to your problem. So you can find
solution more quickly I believe. Yet this is an easy
way out because I think taking the time to learn how the stuff really
works give you some perspective.

Best regards,
Jeremie