Re: [O] Localized org-mode

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Localized org-mode
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 16:44:26 +0200

> is there something like localized/internationalized org? I.e. all
> keywords, like :PROPERTIES: are translated to another language,
> like :EIGENSCHAFTEN: (for German) so it looks more natural in a foreign
> language. It is of a special importance for languages with non-latin
> letters, where the mix of different languages might be
> visually/esthetically disturbing and require switching of keyboard
> layouts while writing. Technically it should be a simple 1-to-1
> substitution based on an org_keyword_vocabulary for a specific language.

There’s a somewhat popular program called "microsoft excel" that I
sometimes have the misfortune of being exposed to.  It has played with the
idea that you propose.  Function names depends on the LOCALE.  How do you
find the mean of a vector, say?  Well, it depends on the LOCALE of the
system.  My experience is that the result is not pleasant!

Localization should at most (if at all) be supported via with overlays as
others have pointed out, but it would be weird when inserting
e.g. properties (C-c C-x p).

Rasmus

--
Need more coffee. . .