[O] Bug? SCHEDULED lines treated differently when text precedes them

From: Christoph Groth
Subject: [O] Bug? SCHEDULED lines treated differently when text precedes them
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 14:51:06 +0200

Dear org mode experts,

I have noticed the following behavior that (after reading the relevant
documentation) I find at least surprising and error-prone.

With Org 9.2.3, the following two TODO items behave differently:

** TODO Something
blabla
SCHEDULED: <2019-09-01 Sun>
[2019-09-05 Thu 14:39]
** TODO Something else
SCHEDULED: <2019-09-01 Sun>
foobar
[2019-09-05 Thu 14:40]

The first one behaves as expected, i.e. it appears in today's
(2019-09-05) agenda, since it's not done yet.

The second one does appear in today's agenda, but it is visible for the
day 2019-09-01.

Is this behavior by design?  If yes, could someone please explain the
rationale or point me to relevant documentation or discussions?

Thanks!
Christoph