Re: [tip for EXWM users] An alternative method for isolate trees

From: Julian M. Burgos
Subject: Re: [tip for EXWM users] An alternative method for isolate trees
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 15:37:20 +0000

Hi Juan,

You are right. :) I have not noticed that org-tree-to-indirect-buffer reuses
the indirect buffer when you call it for a second time.  According to the
manual, "with a C-u prefix, do not remove the previously used indirect buffer",
but that does not seem to work.  When you do Cu-Cc-Cx-b from a buffer that
already has an indirect buffer you get a "cannot modify an area being edited in
a dedicated buffer".  If you try it from a different buffer, the prefix is
ignored and the indirect buffer is assigned to the tree from the last buffer.

This does not seem to be a limitation from emacs, as it is possible to open
multiple indirect buffers from a base buffer, using for example
clone-indirect-buffer.  So it should be possible to make a function combining
"clone-indirect-buffer" and "org-narrow-to-subtree" perhaps?  I am thinking so
this option is available not only to EXWM users.

Ideally, there should be an option to allow org-tree-to-indirect-buffer to
create more than one indirect buffer if desired.

My best,

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos, PhD
Hafrannsóknastofnun, rannsókna- og ráðgjafarstofnun hafs og vatna/