Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 23:07:57 +0100

Hi,

Atlas Cove <Atlas48@gmx.com> writes:

> Code-wise, the use of the '\\' symbol is only tentative, as I
> understand that '\' has special meaning elsewhere in org's syntax, (I
> was even going to submit a patch to add two special symbols somewhere
> down the line). '\\' (or whatever symbol is decided on) would cause
> the org parser to concatenate the next line into the outputted
> previous cell, rendering the output of the first example identical to
> the second example.

I agree that what you are commenting on is the great problem of Org Mode
tables. Just a question. If I have understood it correctly, with this
new syntax you propose, should Org understand all the 'concatenated
text'

Very Citrusy! Very \\
nice indeed!

as a single row (and not as multiple rows)? If so that would be
great, since the best way to deal with this kind of tables with a lot of
text in LaTeX is with the tabularx package. For example, I would export
your table like this:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+LaTeX_Header:\usepackage{tabularx,array}
  ,#+ATTR_LaTeX: :environment tabularx :align l>{\raggedright\arraybackslash}Xl
:width .6\textwidth :center t
  | Name         | Description                                           |
Price |

  | Orange Juice | Very Citrusy! Very nice indeed! ... and a lot of text |
5.00 |
  | Grape Juice  | It's like wine, but you can have it all day!          |
6.00 |
#+end_src

Best regards,

Juan Manuel