Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 06:24:08 -1000

Aloha,

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

Hello,

Colin Baxter writes:

Hello,

I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:

redknight@jetstar:~/git$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
Cloning into 'org-mode'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

This looks like part of the fallout of the recent expiry of one of
Let's Encrypt's root certificates.  See:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110546
https://letsencrypt.org/2021/10/01/cert-chaining-help.html

What GNU/Linux distro are you using? Try updating your packages --
particularly ca-certificates and packages like openssl, gnutls,
libssl, etc. -- and see if it helps. If not, you can read more on the topic in recent articles around the web, and apply one of the
suggested workarounds.

Updating ca-certificates worked for me on Ubuntu.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye