Re: org-persist - bug report

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-persist - bug report
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:28:29 +0800

Alastair Burt <alastair.burt@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I couldn't find an issue-tracking system for org-mode as they have for
> projects on github. So I'm emailing you directly.

Thanks! The bug reporting for Org mode is by email. You can send email
to Org mailing list at emacs-orgmode@gnu.org (also, see "1.4 Feedback"
section of Org manual or https://orgmode.org/ The issue tracker is
derived from the email and can be found online in
https://updates.orgmode.org/

I am CCing this message the mailing list.

> I just upgraded my org-mode to the latest version in git. Whenever I
> visited a certain org file, my Emacs became unusable. Any attempt to use
> M-x (execute-extended-command) resulted in max-specpdl-size errors as did
> using C-x C-c to exit Emacs. Some but not all of the errors mentioned
> "Error during file deserialization". After an hour's debugging, I tracked
> this down to org-persist. Deleting "~/.cache/org-persist" made the problem
> go away.

Your error looks bad, but I never saw it on my side. Are you able to
reproduce it with clean Emacs config? Does it happen immediately after
you open the file or did you change the file before the error appeared?

> I never managed to produce a backtrace, even with debug-on-error set to t.
> This was hard to debug!

This indicates some problem with cache code. The cache code is
asynchronous and thus difficult to debug. You may produce a useful
backtrace if you have

(setq org-element--cache-self-verify 'backtrace)
(setq org-element--cache-self-verify-frequency 1)

If the above is not enough, try the following just before actions that
trigger the error:

(setq org-element--cache-diagnostics t)

Best,
Ihor