Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:26:41 +0100

Hi Timothy,

Am 02.12.2021 um 12:58 schrieb Timothy:
Hi Denis,

Currently, org syntax doesn’t officially seem to support intra-word emphasis. Am
I missing something?
I’d describe it as supported via-zero width spaces.

You may be interested in
<https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-05-31-async.html#easy-zero-width>.
Thank's that's helpful.

If the assessment is correct: Is there a reason for this? And, shouldn’t that
be officially added?
Do you happen to have any ideas on how this could be achieved? I’d rather not
resort to having to do things like `\ast{}' and `\tilde{}' too much.

Well, not really. I just don't understand why /intra/word shouldn't mean \emph{intra}word. Pandoc's markdown supports *intra*word, asciidoc supports it via unconstrained formatting pairs: https://docs.asciidoctor.org/asciidoc/latest/text/#unconstrained; so __intra__word. And, as org syntax is said to be the superior markup language, I thought that must be possible ;-)

I understand zero width spaces are the official workaround, but I don't really like having invisible characters in my documents. Automatically removing all of them on export might also introduce problems. Perhaps some have been added on purpose, and not just to help org?

As for suggestions: If just using /intra/word creates ambiguities, what about the asciidoc solution? So //intra//word? In fact, I'd even use raw latex for this things. It's true, they are rare enough. So I wouldn't mind an occassional `\emph{}`.

Best,
Denis