Re: Ethical problems with MathJax as default - Was: Faulty SVG width

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Ethical problems with MathJax as default - Was: Faulty SVG width
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 16:00:45 +0800

Yuchen Guo <Guoyuc@students.uni-marburg.de> writes:

>> The license is declared in the script. You can see it by following the
>> script url. It is right on top.
>
> True. My fault.  The problem is that the declaration is not
> machine-readable by LibreJS.

I understand the problem, however I do not see why LibreJS could not
whitelist MathJax. It is a technical limitation of current LibreJS
implementation, not the problem of software freedom.

> On the other hand, I think it is more preferable and more
> privacy-conscious to forbid loading from Cloudflare and use a local copy
> of MathJax embedded in LibreJS instead:
>
> - One can not trust Cloudflare.
> - Even if it is trusted, Cloudflare would still (at least)
>   log the IP address.

To clarify, software freedom has little to do with privacy. Currently,
ox-html does comply with
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

Of course, it does not mean that privacy should be ignored. If you have
any ideas or patches that can improve the current situation with
the mathjax coudflare link, feel free to share them.

>> I am not sure what is the problem here. Apache licence does not restrict
>> modifications and you can use your modified MathJax source by
>> customising org-html-mathjax-options.
>
> Oh, I meant the freedom of the website visitor replacing MathJax with a
> modified version on-the-fly, not of the website authors.  That is not
> trivial.

greasemonkey script? I guess that one can just replace all the scripts
linking to .+/MathJax.js with local script references.

Best,
Ihor