Re: [BUG] cant normally edit tables created with table-insert [9.5.2 (re

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] cant normally edit tables created with table-insert [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-25-gaf6f12 @ c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 08:55:05 +0000

Mati <mati@electrum-bikes.pl> writes:

>> Could you please provide a concrete example on what you want to achieve?
>
> +-----+-----+ at top and bottom of table creates top and bottom border
> and doesn't break table.

Org export for table.el tables relies on export capabilities of
table.el. We may hack into the export to add border (say, according to
#+ATTR_HTML attribute), but it will be fragile wrt changes in table.el
export.

So, I do not think that it is a good idea to add such kind of feature to
Org. table.el support is limited as long is it is not a part of actual
Org syntax and not supported fully in org-table.el.

In terms of Org development, we should probably focus more on improving
built-in tables, as discussed in
https://orgmode.org/list/878rkyarvm.fsf@localhost

On personal level, you may use org-export-filter-table-functions to add
the borders as needed.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,