Re: [emms-help] To list or not to list

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: [emms-help] To list or not to list
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:18:31 +0200

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> I suck at the algorithms and data structures, but I'm sure
> there's got to be some way to have the cake and eat it too.
> Like maybe if we used a list of vectors, or some kind of
> fancy tree or something.  Or something. :-)

I originally did choose vectors because "previous" is easy.

The alternative to them would be a double-linked list, which would
work sufficiently well for most cases I guess. Actually, I think
that would be nice to have. I'm not sure whether I have managed to
get the abstraction layer at the right place to facilitate such a
change, so possible quite a bit of emms.el would need to change.
It's on my todo list now, but that shouldn't stop anyone from
implementing it :-)

Another alternative would be to use what Emacs is good with,
namely, a buffer. This would enable us to integrate emms-pbi
slightly better with emms I guess, but I'm not sure that is a
worthwhile goal. I don't use pbi, and I don't want yet another
useless buffer lying around. But I'm not too fixed on this, so
maybe someone can persuade me that it is a good idea.

Greetings,
        -- Jorgen

--
((email . "address@hidden") (www . "http://www.forcix.cx/";)
 (gpg   . "1024D/028AF63C")   (irc . "nick forcer on IRCnet"))